Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lemon Cream Chicken

A good majority of my recipe's that I try from a cookbook or random blogs don't turn out very well, if at all. This was one of the few exceptions. I found it through a friend of a friend of a friends blog, i think. You all know how it is when you get clicking on blog after blog. After blog. Anyway, here's the link to this particular blog.

Lemon Cream Chicken

1/2 cup plus 1 T. flour divided
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 c. butter
1 c. chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream, divided
3 T. lemon juice
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced*

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1/2 c. flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken an shake to coat. In a large skillet, cook chicken in butter for 8-9 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm.

Add broth to the drippings. Bring to a boil over medium heat; stir to loosen browned bits from the pan. Simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes or until broth is reduced approximately 1/3 cup. Sir in 3/4 c. cream, lemon juice and mushrooms. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.

Combine remaining flour and cream until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and sir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to skillet and heat through. Yield = 6 servings.

*I opted to leave out the mushrooms, not a huge fan, but maybe I'll try it next time. The original author said she doesn't like breading it, and it's just as good if you skip that step. I served it with Rice Pilaf (gotta love the San Francisco treat) and some green beans that I added a little twist on.

Green Beans in Butter Sauce
from The Essential Food Storage Cookbook

1 lb. frozen green beans
2 T. butter
1 tsp. vinegar (or lemon juice)
1 tsp. Worchestershire sauce

Cook beans according to directions on the bag. Drain. Return to saucepan; add remaining ingredients. Stir until butter melts and sauce coats beans. Serves 4.

2 comments:

  1. Those green beans sound simple and good. I am always looking for new ways to make veggies better so my non-vegetable eating husband will eat them. :) I am now dying to try this recipe Amy posted, too. Thanks for visiting The Sisters Cafe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this chicken for my guy last night and he loooooved it! It turned out to be so delicious and easy!!! Great recipe - thanks Sarah.

    ReplyDelete