Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Moms homemade Lasagna, Meal #1

Hi, I am Christy Gilvear. In attempts to be a better wife and mother (and to get my kids to eat better) I have set out to cook regular family meals over the next 2 weeks. I cook regularly for my family, maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I am trying to cook more often though and more healthy. My goal is to see a change in my children's tastes and appetites. So cookbook in hand I sat down to make my grocery list. I will be cooking 7 meals over the next two weeks (some nights we will have left overs or breakfast for dinner). I went to the grocery store and only spent $130 on my food! So here is meal number one for tonight:

My mom's homemade Lasagna is the best I have ever had. People always ask her for the recipe when they have it. And here it is for you!

1 lb. ground beef
2 T. parsley flakes
1 pkg. Spaghetti sauce mix
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sour cream
1 can tomatoes
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 (6-oz.) cans tomato paste
2 c. cottage cheese
2 eggs, well beaten
1 (16-oz.) mozzarella cheese
1 tsp. salt
Lasagna noodles

Brown meat. Drain. Add sauce mix, salt tomatoes, and tomato paste. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Cook noodles, drain. Combine eggs, salt, parsley, pepper, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, and cottage cheese. Set aside. Layer as follows: 1/2 noodles, 1/2 cottage cheese, 1/2 mozzarella cheese, 1/2 meat. Repeat. Bake 375 degrees for 30 minutes.



Homemade Bread sticks from Rhodes dough

1 pkg. Rhodes Frozen bread dough (I just used white)
Butter
Parmesan Cheese
Garlic Bread Seasoning

Let bread set out until soft enough to cut. Slice in pieces about 1 inch thick. Roll between hands until shape of a bread stick. Melt butter. Dip bread sticks in butter then in a mixture of Parmesan cheese and Garlic Bread Seasoning. Spray Pam on your pan. Place bread sticks on pans and let raise until double or triple in size. Bake in 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.


Note: serve with corn and red cabbage salad.

Unfortunately making it does not guarantee they will eat it.
Day one down.


~Christy

3 comments:

  1. Christy this looks delicious! I am for sure going to try it one night this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh this one looks so good can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like something my family would really enjoy :) thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete